Total players online: 16

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Rocket Dog
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:50 am 
I have now heard of 3 people getting at least a 72 hr ban for having a ghost on a second client. One was at Yew, one at Malas and one inside a dungeon scouting. In the latest case the person was told that UO development has given them a way to track it. Just wondering if anyone has any better info and why has it only been on ghosts that are not rubbubg any type of programs for them. I will usually take a ghost into a dungeon and scan the area before I go in or watch some spawn sites but I think I may hold off for a bit on that lol. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, been awhile since this came up. There are Off Topic posts relating to this subject already. I usually lock this and point to the Off Topic, but it hasn't come up in a while, the subject line is clearer then the others I think, so we'll leave this one for future posts to lock and point to. :wink:

There's been a standing warning that you'll find about running 2 clients. Of course it's detectable, very easy to do so. Doesn't matter that the client was started with UOXL or some other 3rd party app. It's a simple thing to check the profile info with that unique identifer and see there are two clients running on the same machine. This is one area EA/OSI has always tried to enforce a little stronger then your general macroing. There are distinct advantages of running 2 clients on one system that could alter game play so they enforce this a little more. I'm about 90% positive there's some internal checking going on that notifies a GM of detection of 2 clients with same indentifier/system running. GMs have popped in long after one of the clients have been closed and still warned the user.

On the other hand, some people have reported running 2 clients for ages and have never ever had a problem. Go figure...

Send me a Paypal donation!

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:05 am 

I did run two clients on osi forever, never got anything from the gm's, but i never used it to an obvious advantage.......however if all of u were ghost scouting when it happened, makes you wonder if the particular gm on that shard doesn't like you doing that :wink:

The Lazy Gambler | Tracers Alexandria Stealing Helper | Tracers Tamer Helper
Please Donate and help keep Alexandria alive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:11 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

based on what i've seen, its all about calling attention to yourself. if your in doom stealing arties and misbehaving anyway while scripting counds with a second account, its only a matter of time before your noticed. just gives the GM an easy excuse to issue a 72 hour ban is all.

For my part, i've done some blatently wrong things in the past (UMing mostly), and have very occasionally run multiple accounts and scripts to accomplish some stuff, but i've never been noticed that I know of. certainly never been banned. why? because i'm always considerate enough not to do whatever i'm doing where others are running around. I always find an out of the way place to do it.

ps.: CEO's right, this is a well formed post. at least it didn't start with "I WAS BANNED!!!!" like they usually do. hehe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:54 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
OSI can go to hell. Lexia is the only way to go. Just stop paying for OSI and come to Alexandria, its free and there is very very little to worry about, when comes to getting caught for something that shouldn't have worried you in the first place.

llamaherder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:04 pm 
Out of interest, anyone know what OSI/EA's view would be if someone used VMWare to run multiple clients?

Anyway given that Win XP's user switching enables people to run multi clients, and this is allowed, how is it that folk are being banned for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:34 pm 
I have no life!
I have no life!

here's the way I read OSI:
you must use windows to run UO. there's simply no way around that. therefore, if you use windows XP's "fast user switching" to run multiple instances to UO there's simply nothing that OSI can do about it.

Using anything else is something that the GM's on OSI chards can ban you for though, since obviously you could run UO without it (even by using the operating system that it was designed for, huh?).

now, weather or not GM's on OSI shards can somehow detect what programs you are running on your computer is certainly debatable. My guess is that they cannot, or at least that they will not do this. In the end though, it hardly matters. the real question is what did you do to garner this particular GM's attention? The simple fact is, with the number of players that are online at any one time, even with a "scanner" system in place to determine who is using third party applications, there would simply be no time for the GM staff to enforce an absolute ban on third party application use. Even if it took as little as 30 seconds to jail and ban an 'offender', there aren't enough GM's to nab everyone. I guarantee though that It takes more than 30 seconds to properly ban someone.

So what does that mean to you as an individual player? Simple, keep a low profile. Only use high profile tools (like multi-clienting) when absolutely nessecary, and then only use them for the duration that their required. While noone can guarantee that you will not get caught, by folowing thoes two simple rules you reduce your chances of having action taken against you to virtually nil. Heck, I know of folks caught in the act using EUO, and not getting banned. Ultimately, it's all about what your doing, not how you're doing it.

BTW: good move making this sticky CEO. don't know how long its been this way, but I like it!
;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:33 pm 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
I was recently "caught" with a 2nd client opened with UOXL and I know for a fact someone called a GM on me. I've used a 2nd client for years with UOXL and it's not til I was reported that they came and got me.

Anyways, Im hoping it's just a 72 ban, but it might be perm. First offense and all, but no I don't think it's a big conspiracy, I think someone has to report you for something and if the GM comes at all, they check for many things like speedhacking, multiclient, or other 3rd party stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:24 pm 
Legendary Scripter
Legendary Scripter

They cant really check for Razor and EUO. Atleast this has been disussed lots in here. It would be illegal.

You cant see difference between mouse and keyboard and with EUO, if you simply just dont do anything stupid.
Razor promises same thing. They just mimic user actions.

And you cant check for speedhack. Atleast if you stand still. There is hacks that enable you to change speed with slider. It sends Little bit different packets, but it minics 0 ping player. So, try to detect that huh?

Can Razor be detected?
"Yes and No. When run by itself, Razor is undetectable by the game server. Razor mimics the client's packets, and in this way the server cannot tell whether the packets are coming from Razor or the client. HOWEVER, by observing your actions Game Masters and/or shard Administrators may suspect you are using a "3rd Party Tool." Use of Razor on shards where it is prohibited is not recommended."
-http://www.runuo.com/razor/faq.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

una wrote:
They cant really check for Razor and EUO. Atleast this has been disussed lots in here. It would be illegal.
Actually, I think they can now. And if it's illegal, then maybe someone will eventually call them on it in court. But until then, I think they have this ability and do so whenever they're called to a location to examine a player.

Someone mentioned a while back that the calls for looking at the processor list are in the client, how they use them is unknown or whether they're just part of a lib package, but it's a pretty easy guess what they could be doing with them if they are using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:36 pm 

I recommend everyone find (on your computer) and run msinfo32.exe That's how easy it is to get ALL the info about your computer.

CEO, thank you for StickyMerging all this craziness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:34 am 
Script Scribe
Script Scribe

Groups:
Oh and just FYI, a buddy of mine got banned within the last week, and the email from Origin stated that he was using "Razor" by name. They can detect things by name somehow. It was true, he was running Razor, and a speedhack (shame on him), but they didn't find the speedhack, they just found Razor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:47 am 
Elder Scripter
Elder Scripter

I was banned a couple of months ago, but due to an oversight on EA/OSI's behlaf, they have marked my account as suspended, but not actually disabled the account. I have been happily fishing on the account for quite some time now, no payments have been taken, so my very own free OSI shard. :-)

Scripting Without Fear - Alexandria free Shard

Last edited by Taz Devil on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:59 am 
Administrator
Administrator

While I've stickied this thread to hopefully consolidate some wayward postings and keep all the "I got caught using a 2nd client" in one thread, it was not meant to become a how-to on tricks and things to do to hide easyuo. I'm sure most can figure out the simple/obvious things anyways, but posting it here doesn't make much sense. It's like broadcasting your moves to the opposition ya know?

I've had to hide/remove a few posts already. They all had the same obvious suggestion which I'm sure most could figure out. I think EA choses to ignore us, for the most part, due to our large numbers, but there's no need to rub it in their face.