Total players online: 16

Take the Tour | Site Map

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:33 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

I'm not entirely sure how well the whole "oh lets just search the whole shard for soulstones" thing would work... Could check CPU statistics during a search, but I'd hate for this to cause a second's lag every time someone forgot to lock down their soulstones, ya know?

Is it really so much to ask people to be responsible?

ProfileShow poster's scripts in the public script library 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:35 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

a global delete wouldn't lag the server at all.. it would be instant.. and not a sinlge online user would feel it..

Are soulStones default still? No alterations in your scripts?

I would need to know the default cs file the mystic is in..

PM me here for prior permission, Anyone sending me an instant message
without prior approval will find themselves Blocked on said messenger
AND Ignored in these forums.
= = = = = = = = = = = = =This is NON-Negotiable! = = = = = = = = = = = = =
/\*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *\/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:29 pm 
I have no life!
I have no life!

The mystic is a custom mobile. I coded him specifically for distributing soulstones.

My other concern is that this change would be a quick fix for user carelessness - I'd much rather have people learn the lesson, rather than come to us demanding codebase changes every time they lose something.

You remember OSI, when you lost an item? "I'm sorry, I cannot help thee with that." They do this because if they help someone retrieve a decayed item, then they have to do it for EVERYONE, and it's just not good.

Same concept, I guess.

That being said, if people still want this feature, I'll look into it. Just remember, the more time we spend on nonsense like this, the less time we spend on more fun stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:54 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

WarLocke wrote:
The mystic is a custom mobile. I coded him specifically for distributing soulstones.

My other concern is that this change would be a quick fix for user carelessness - I'd much rather have people learn the lesson, rather than come to us demanding codebase changes every time they lose something.

You remember OSI, when you lost an item? "I'm sorry, I cannot help thee with that." They do this because if they help someone retrieve a decayed item, then they have to do it for EVERYONE, and it's just not good.

Same concept, I guess.

That being said, if people still want this feature, I'll look into it. Just remember, the more time we spend on nonsense like this, the less time we spend on more fun stuff.

But how many items on osi are Account locked? I think the point here is that these soulstones are not replacable in game without GM intervention..

If it was something as trivial as an arti with rarity of 57 thousand it's still replacable.. even if it would take a user 15 years to do it.. It's not the same as soul stones.. Soul stones can never be gotten again. And because a user goes to their home locks them down and finds they can't use them while locked.. It gives the feeling that locking is not necessary.. So they unlock them to use them and think nothing of it. But that's where the mistake is.. They decay like everything else.. And they get screwed cause it's not something they can attain again in their life time.

I would be more then willing to help code it to delete any soulstones that account has before giving the user new stones.. I just think an item that is never again obtainable should, well... Be again obtainable..

Now if you wanted to keep staff replacing there is an easy way to do it with one command. (No skill would be replaced.. And I would not even bigin to suggest a replacment of lost skill should occur!)

global remove where SoulStone Account = [Useraccount]

Quote:
RunuoForumPost:

[global remove where TamingBOB
of course it does a global remove, then adding "where" makes it specify an item or mobile or static and adding the item/mobile/static after that finishes the specification process. You could do:
[global remove where TamingBOB hue = 100
that specifies properties afterwards. Anyways, just do
[global remove where TamingBOB.

Then the staff member only need add two new stones attached to the users account. No worries if someone is trying to cheat as it deletes all old soulstones anyway.. and if they did try to cheat.. they lost the skills on the old ones.

Anyway.. I always suggest testing on a test server before live attempts. Give it a shot.. see it work magic :) In script that command on the mystic would be:

global remove where SoulStone Account = from.Account

from.Account might need to be m.Account depending on which variable is used where you place it.

(Or should be.. I didn't test it )

/\*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *\/

dtportnoy69
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:32 pm 
Does the Wiz guy that gives the stone check if the user already has one? Is there anyway to tie the status of the soulstone to the user?

If the user has a soulstone you can't give another one. However if the soulstone is lost the user can get another one from the wizard guy. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:32 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

WarLocke wrote:

Same concept, I guess.

I remember long time ago when I did play on OSI.. I traded a keg of potion to a user for a check. He got the potion and I got.. well No check.. I felt scammed.. I paged Admins for help.. they didn't turn me away with "Oh well.. Guess you'll learn.." They found the problem wasn't necessarily anyone's fault... The check had jumped INSIDE the potion keg.. Basically the guy had both.. but he didn't know it..

Sometimes OSI does help.. even if it could be a user problem.. And again I feel I need to point this out again.. Soulstones can never be obtained again.. it's not like saying "Oh well you'll have to work to get it back" It's not like losing Awesome Armor or resources.. It's losing an item we have no possible way of ever replacing.. I agree learning a lesson is important.. But is the fault truely on the players alone? I'm not saying the admins here are at fault.. I'm saying the scripting of the SoulStones leaves people to beleive that leaving them unlocked is the 'norm' as they aren't usable when locked. I think the Scripters of SoulStones are partly to blame for not allowing usage when locked. Those are mighty big items to be placing in a secure.. Secures take alot of lockdown space.. and to have half the chest blocked by a stone of that magnitude.. it's horrible..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:33 pm 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

dtportnoy69 wrote:
Does the Wiz guy that gives the stone check if the user already has one? Is there anyway to tie the status of the soulstone to the user?

If the user has a soulstone you can't give another one. However if the soulstone is lost the user can get another one from the wizard guy. Just my 2 cents.

Kinda what we are discussing lol The only way for the mystic to check if the user has a stone is to search the world.. And like Warlocke said earlier it is cpu heavy.. The best method would be to delete the users previous stones and issue new ones.. it would be on them to ensure they don't already have a set..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:19 pm 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

Hmmm... well if its not too complicated id say run with this. that way people who lose em are happy cuz they can be regained [ note : i support the motion altho i have all my soulstones ] and it will make it to wear the admins dont get bugged evey time someone loses one :D

dtportnoy69
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:05 pm 
RedSatiin wrote:
dtportnoy69 wrote:

Kinda what we are discussing lol The only way for the mystic to check if the user has a stone is to search the world.. And like Warlocke said earlier it is cpu heavy.. The best method would be to delete the users previous stones and issue new ones.. it would be on them to ensure they don't already have a set..

Ah my bad :)

I'm also seeing from a Database stand point. I"m not sure how exactly the coding behind RunUO is, but I'm assuming the user has an information record somewhere on a database.

Under my assumption I'd create a field to store whether the user has or doesn't have a stone in the User Table. (bit 1 or 0) And that field is updated whenever a soulstone decays, is received, and whenever another Event that is tied with a soulstone occurs.lol this of course brings in another assumption that soulstones and the userid's they belong to are stored hand in hand somewhere so that you can easily retrieve the information for that specific userid.

This is all theoretical and assumption based, and I"m not exactly sure how RunUO stores its item information etc...

With this you're only updating when you need to. When item is given or lost (created , decayed).

This of course assuming that creation and decaying are events which you can modify and that the world we live in is made of cotton candy and tastes so god damn yummy!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:17 am 
Master Scripter
Master Scripter

dtportnoy69 wrote:

I'm also seeing from a Database stand point. I"m not sure how exactly the coding behind RunUO is, but I'm assuming the user has an information record somewhere on a database.

Under my assumption I'd create a field to store whether the user has or doesn't have a stone in the User Table. (bit 1 or 0) And that field is updated whenever a soulstone decays, is received, and whenever another Event that is tied with a soulstone occurs.lol this of course brings in another assumption that soulstones and the userid's they belong to are stored hand in hand somewhere so that you can easily retrieve the information for that specific userid.

RunUO saves information to files.. Not a DB :( It would be much more simple if it was db run.. but it's not.. and for the server to stop and search the save file would put so much pressure on the cpu it's rediculous.. Every item in the world.. On the ground, in a backpack, on a person, in a house.. is saved to a (one) file.. When an item decays (At world save) that item simply is not added to the file.. there is no tag stating such item is gone.

When Mystic adds the stones to the users he adds a player tag SoulStone=True That won't change on a decay.. only when the player interacts with something that is scripted to change it.

If RunUO Ran on a db this wouldn't be as big an issue :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:47 am 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Saves would take much longer in a database actually (a hundred-thousand insert / update statements, anyone?). While running, all items are stored in memory for fastest possible access - so you're just talking about scanning about 600mb of items stored in memory. ;)

As I've said, I'll see about finding a faster way to scan them - the items may be indexed, in which case I could just scan a list of all soulstones rather than all items.

But not right now.

1,270/50,000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:57 am 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

WarLocke wrote:
1,270/50,000

Wish ya luck WL!

TBM Scripts: sub Click Runebook Location | sub moveItem

dtportnoy69
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:21 am 
Ah I see. I wish I had to time to get into RunUO and its framework :( It really sounds interesting. So yeah I see where the problem lies, I just wanted a feel of the symantecs on the problem. Good to know :)

Thanks for the replies :)

Wapoa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:58 pm 
Alexandria Staff
Alexandria Staff

I spent last night working soulstones that can be used while not locked down. Can't really override the item decay-- if it's not locked down, it will decay if it is based on item.cs and not a mobile. Found the part to change, just can't find the root method being called, to look at it...

Item Work: UltraEnhancer | UltraOrganizer
Pets: UltraPetFighter
Treasure Hunting: Map Identifier | Treasure Hunter | RKSpotAutoWalker

Information:
New Users: Basic Required Reading for New Users
Speeches: My Consolidated Useful Speeches
Script Library: My Script Library

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:50 pm 
Ancient Scripter
Ancient Scripter

hmmm.. well then how about adding a new item that like... checks to see if u have stones [ i dunno some flag on char sayin stones = true ].. if that is true and u use it it will replace the 2 stones and delete any old ones u might have had on the account ??

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next